February 08, 2016

#WORK - Believe in yourself

In March 2015 a young couple approached me and asked me, if I would like to photograph their wedding. Doesn't seem like anything special to you, but it sure is to me. Wanna know why? Because that was the first time someone liked my pictures so much, that they would trust me even with their wedding pictures. I was so shocked that they asked me, that I first tried to tell them that I am just a regular girl taking pictures of people because I love to do it - I am not a professional photographer. You know what they said?

"You don't have to be a professional photographer to make great pictures. If you love what you do and if you understand the things you do - which you obviously do because I love your pictures - then don't underestimate yourself. There are so many people out there working as professional photographers .. when I would've wanted someone like them, I wouldn't have come to you!"


This made me realize that, yes, I am a photographer. It doesn't matter that I don't have the paperwork to show it. I have the heart, the love and the passion to be a photographer. So this day - more like the words of the bride - really was a complete 180 degree turn for me. I started looking at my work in another way.

Why am I always aiming to be like all the other great photographers? Why am I trying to create pictures, that I don't really like personally? Why don't I believe in myself to be good enough?

As a photographer you just have to believe in yourself. There are so many people out there who do the same thing you do and you have to work really hard to get yourself some clients. If you don't believe in the things you do, then you shouldn't continue doing it. I started to believe in myself when people came to me, because they liked what I did - what I still do. And I am very happy about that. The words of the bride kind of gave me a kick in the right direction. Keep believing in yourself and never undermine something that you love to do!


1 comment:

  1. Sehr wahre Worte!!
    Das ist einfach etwas, was man sich immer mal wieder ins Gedächtnis rufen sollte.

    Und grad das erste Foto finde ich einfach schön.

    ReplyDelete